• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

Dye does not separe in acrylamide gel

acrylamide electrophoresis DNA

Best Answer mdfenko, 06 December 2016 - 05:29 AM

are you sure that there was sufficient crosslinker in the acrylamide, maybe it was prepared wrong? are you sure you don't normally use 19:1 (that's what i used for sequencing back in the day)?

check the pH of the running buffer, if it's significantly off then migration will be affected.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 piemmea

piemmea

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Neutral

Posted 06 December 2016 - 04:18 AM

Hi all,

hope you have some clue. I prepared a 5% acrylamide gel for DNA separation using s(at least I think!) same reagents as usual: acryl. 29:1, 10% aps, etc. Gel polymerised, but when I loaded the dye (standard) for the prerun to clean the gel, I saw that Bromophenol blue and Xylene cyanol co-migrated and did not separe as usual!

I have no idea what happened, reagents were the same but acrylamide (not prepared by me, but at least it polymerised): do you have some?

tnx!

#2 mdfenko

mdfenko

an elder

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,246 posts
Excellent

Posted 06 December 2016 - 05:29 AM   Best Answer

are you sure that there was sufficient crosslinker in the acrylamide, maybe it was prepared wrong? are you sure you don't normally use 19:1 (that's what i used for sequencing back in the day)?

check the pH of the running buffer, if it's significantly off then migration will be affected.

talent does what it can
genius does what it must
i do what i get paid to do

#3 piemmea

piemmea

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Neutral

Posted 20 December 2016 - 02:33 PM

Hi, crsslinking worked as normal, I just re-prepared buffers and everything worked again. Tnx for the tip

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.