So I foolishly spilled a small amount (maybe 100-200 ml?) of transfer buffer with 20% methanol on a cloth chair. I absorbed as much as possible with paper towels. Is the chair safe to use? Can I treat it with anything to mitigate whatever methanol is still present?
Transfer buffer with methanol spillchemicals
Posted 10 October 2016 - 01:47 PM
Depending on the transfer buffer, but there are usually no hazardous reagents in transfer buffer, other than a little SDS. Methanol is not absorbed through skin, but might dry the skin out a little if poured over the skin at high concentration (e.g. 50% or more). The liquid will also evaporate and leave no residue other than the glycine and tris in the chair.
Long story short: there is no problem.
Posted 10 October 2016 - 02:32 PM
bob1, methanol does permeate the skin. Indeed, repeated contact exposure, e.g. industrial environments, result in similar health impact as ingestion or vapour inhalation.
There is even a paper from 1931 about it
Not a big deal in this case, but care should be taken if you use it very often
Posted 11 October 2016 - 08:26 AM
Well, you learn something new (or old in this case)...Looks like the absorption rate is fairly low and typically measured using 100% methanol. Interesting, some good procrastination material here.
Posted 11 October 2016 - 12:47 PM
Methanol is labeled hazardous, that's why I was concerned. I ended up stashing the chair in an unused fume hood for the time being.
Posted 14 October 2016 - 04:09 AM
yes, methanol can be hazardous but it will evaporate rather rapidly. you have nothing to fear when the chair is dry.
genius does what it must
i do what i get paid to do