• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

Possible mycoplasma contamination?

mycoplasma contamination

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 JDSBlueDevl

JDSBlueDevl

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 39 posts
Neutral

Posted 15 May 2016 - 06:09 PM

I had noticed that after trypsinization of my 184A1 cells (and spinning them down out of PBS-diluted trypsin), I had difficulty with the cells spreading out upon attachment and even division.  Originally, I had thought it was a bad component of the medium, so I bought new medium and was able to see that cells were spreading out after trypsinization and FBS neutralization with fresh cells.  However, I also made sure to not include Gentamicin in my medium, as I was doing transfections.  Today, I noticed that my cells were infected.  I'm trying to determine whether it was possible for the cells that had trouble attaching and dividing to have had mycoplasma contamination, and thus our incubator was itself contaminated.  If so, that would explain everything for the past few weeks.  As it is, I have already alerted my other labmates that we will need to do decontamination of the incubators tomorrow.

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.