• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

About closing a Class II safety cabinet

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Rainy

Rainy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Neutral

Posted 31 January 2016 - 05:30 AM

Hi all, I have a rather naive question to ask about the shutting down of a Class II safety cabinet.

After turning off the flow, the air takes substantial time to stabilised (may be due to old equipment),

and therefore, after shutting down the sash, the pressure still within the hood would pull the sash inwards and has the danger of creating cracks to the glass (it has happened once). So I was advised to leave a gap (~0.5cm) when shutting down the sash to prevent this from happening.

May I know if it is still safe to turn on UV afterwards and whether this practice is ok?

Many thanks!

#2 bob1

bob1

Thelymitra pulchella

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,222 posts
Excellent

Posted 01 February 2016 - 12:57 AM

Any point where the UV can exit the hood is a point where someone could potentially get burnt by the UV. Another problem is that, if the UV turns off the inside of the hood will potentially be less sterile than it might be if the hood was closed entirely, however, with proper technique this is usually not a serious problem.

#3 Rainy

Rainy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Neutral

Posted 01 February 2016 - 06:33 PM

Thanks for your advice Bob1!

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.