Hi all, I've recently been put in charge of making and running my own experiment for the first time(3rd year biotech undergrad), I've run into a bit of a block, but first I'll give you the low down:
- Making up a number of media types using molasses and some other supplementation
- Using Aspergillus, Saccharomyces, and Escherichia as test organisms
Now the question:
- I'm looking for some methods to test how well the organisms are growing~ So I can compare the different concentrations and make ups of media.
What I have so far is:
- Measure absorbance of broth cultures at 24, 48, 72 hours~
- For E. coli, check the acid content of the culture
- For Saccaromyces~ distill the alcohol content of fermentation and use a hydrometer to measure it.
I have at my disposal:
- FT-IR spectrometer
- UV/VIS spectrometer
- Some columns for chromatography~ though I must find out which ones we have.
I thank all of you for reading this far and appreciate all input,