• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
* * * - - 1 votes

camp response element

cell signaling cell biology molecular biology

Best Answer pito, 16 November 2015 - 10:21 AM

so, is not neccessary a extracellular signal to start a genetic transcription?

sorry i am new in this topic thanks

well... your question is harder to answer than you think.

Is it necessary? Yes and no! Haha It all depends on the genes..

Some genes will have a basel transcription all the time and will hardly change. Others have a basal transcription but will be upregulated following certain stress or downregulated.

Others will be very much influenced by extracellular signals , others will not.

It is hard to say.

Its a very complex system and I believe that we do not even know everything about it. Even now things are discovered. Many genes/proteins are also linked to each other and it is really not a black-white question.

Check the paper I attached, it will already give you much information.

Its a chapter on gene regulation/expression.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Ricardo Luis

Ricardo Luis

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Neutral

Posted 14 November 2015 - 11:22 AM

when an extracellular  ligand like epinephrine is transduced into the cell, one biochemical pathway ends in the nucleus.

this signal activates some transcription factors such as CREB which binds an specific nucleotic  sequence in the DNA, this book (cell and molecular biology Gerald Karp p.633) says that " these trancription factors INCREASE THE RATE of initiation of transcription " i don´t understand it.

is it mean the transcription is always occuring? please help i love study cell biology is amazing

Attached Thumbnails

• Screenshot_2015-11-14-14-19-10.png

#2 pito

pito

Veteran

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,464 posts
Excellent

Posted 14 November 2015 - 01:05 PM

when an extracellular  ligand like epinephrine is transduced into the cell, one biochemical pathway ends in the nucleus.

this signal activates some transcription factors such as CREB which binds an specific nucleotic  sequence in the DNA, this book (cell and molecular biology Gerald Karp p.633) says that " these trancription factors INCREASE THE RATE of initiation of transcription " i don´t understand it.

is it mean the transcription is always occuring? please help i love study cell biology is amazing

Have you looked at the wikipedia page describing CREB?

In general: transcription is always occuring... at any time in our body there is transcription of certain genes.

Transcription is not just a yes/no story. Its much more detailed.

In 1 cell you can have transcription of gene A, in another cell there is not transcription of gene A. Its a very delicate balance and hard to just explain as a yes/no story.

Have you looked into transcription in general? The transcription factors? Basal level? And so on?

If you don't know it, then ask it! Better to ask and look foolish to some than not ask and stay stupid.

#3 Ricardo Luis

Ricardo Luis

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Neutral

Posted 14 November 2015 - 01:52 PM

#4 pito

pito

Veteran

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,464 posts
Excellent

Posted 16 November 2015 - 10:21 AM   Best Answer

Some genes will have a basel transcription all the time and will hardly change. Others have a basal transcription but will be upregulated following certain stress or downregulated.

It is hard to say.

Its a very complex system and I believe that we do not even know everything about it. Even now things are discovered. Many genes/proteins are also linked to each other and it is really not a black-white question.

Attached Files

If you don't know it, then ask it! Better to ask and look foolish to some than not ask and stay stupid.

#5 Ricardo Luis

Ricardo Luis

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Neutral

Posted 19 November 2015 - 08:20 PM

It is hard to say.

when i started to learn cell signaling i said it would be easy but it isnt true haha. anyway i like this topic. 

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.