• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo

Many cracks on FFPE block after placing in Ice cold water

FFPE Paraffin section IHC immunohistochemistry

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Rnotk

Rnotk

Veteran

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts
Neutral

Posted 29 September 2015 - 10:17 AM

Hi All

I am wondering someone might experienced similar situation.

I received several paraffin embedded blocks of human tissue, and I tried to cut 5um section for IHC.

When I cut tissue (Brand new block), I normally trim first to expose the tissue, and then place the block in ice-cold water to hydrate the tissue.

I did the same thing for these tissue blocks as well. But this time, I found many cracks formed in blocks.

(The crack is not large enough to affect the integrity of the block, but I never seen this before).

It took quite a while to hydrate this tissue (the tissue size was around 5mmx5mm), but I managed to cut section.

When I stain the slide, majority of the tissue came off from the slides.

Now I am thinking maybe this tissue might be under fixed. but still not sure why the many cracks formed.

I always use ice-cold water and I never seen the cracks form, and btw the crack was not there before I placed the block in ice cold water.

I tried different biock from same vender and confirm the crack is not existed before ice cold water and it does appear after ice cold water.

Does anyone know what could be the reason? maybe low quality paraffin or process is not correct or maybe this is normal.

Thank you in advance

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.