• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

Unused Lab Materials

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 wswr

wswr

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
Neutral

Posted 06 August 2015 - 09:53 AM

I have not used antibiotics and LB-agar plates for a month or so and left them on the bottom of the 4 degrees Celsius fridge (where my stuff have been assigned to in my lab). I noticed that there are tiny drops of liquid inside the tubes and inside the bags containing the plates. This seems to happen only with my stuff. Why is that? And should I remake the antibiotics and plates? 

#2 mdfenko

mdfenko

an elder

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,161 posts
Excellent

Posted 07 August 2015 - 03:17 AM

the tubes can be vortexed to remix the droplets (assuming these are tubes of liquid).

did you put the plates into the fridge while they were hot or still liquid? agar side down? has the agar not dried (or mostly dried)?

if so then you can turn them agar side up and the liquid should be reabsorbed over time if it hasn't consolidated into a large, mobile, drop.

Edited by mdfenko, 07 August 2015 - 03:17 AM.

talent does what it can
genius does what it must
i do what i get paid to do

#3 Astilius

Astilius

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 62 posts
Neutral

Posted 13 August 2015 - 04:48 AM

To add to mdfenko's good advice, have a look at those agar plates.   The liquid may have evolved via syneresis, so check the surface of the gel for cracks.   If they're cracked then bin them, if not then continue as mdfenko advises.

To the last, I grapple with thee; from Hell's heart, I stab at thee; for hate's sake, I spit my last breath at thee.

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.