• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

How to predict the significant relationship looking at the equation

Probability

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 PushD

PushD

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Neutral

Posted 04 August 2015 - 06:40 AM

Dear all,

Please let me know how to understand the statistical relationship by checking the eqation.

for example -

K−W p = 7.0E−10

how do you say it's statistically significant or not.

thanks a lot.

#2 hobglobin

hobglobin

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional...

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,583 posts
Excellent

Posted 04 August 2015 - 07:38 AM

With this little information I'd say it's from a Kruskal Wallis test. If you did this test and this is the resulting p value, then it "suggests that the observed data are inconsistent with the assumption that the null hypothesis is true and thus that hypothesis must be rejected (but this does not automatically mean the alternative hypothesis can be accepted as true)**."
Usually scientists use a threshold value which is e.g. 0.05 or 0.01 (i.e. values chosen by general agreement not by biological significance) and when your p-value is equal or smaller, your results from one  treatment/group are e.g. statistically significant different from another one  (when the test is correctly chosen and it's assumptions on the data fulfilled, which is for the K-W test easily done as it's a non-parametric test).
A nice webpage with more details; also wikipedia pages with the stats basics are well written here and sufficient for a beginner (** got this from here).

One must presume that long and short arguments contribute to the same end. - Epicurus
...except casandra's that belong to the funniest, most interesting and imaginative (or over-imaginative?) ones, I suppose.

#3 PushD

PushD

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Neutral

Posted 06 August 2015 - 04:32 AM

Thank you very much, helped a lot

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.