• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo

Can siRNA be used to prevent upregulation in gene expression?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Sakumi

Sakumi

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
Neutral

Posted 23 June 2015 - 05:47 AM

Hello all,

I am getting a bit confused about my current experiment. I am hypothesizing that the UPREGULATION in the expression of a certain gene at a particular time is required for a certain function, rather than its usual functioning at basal level.

I have siRNA targeting this gene on hand, which will be injected in vivo. But I'm wondering, can siRNA be used to "cancel out" a new wave of mRNA produced if given a few hours before? I don't want changes in constitutive gene expression or protein levels.

Thank you!

Sakumi

#2 kedar

kedar

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43 posts
Neutral

Posted 23 June 2015 - 07:12 AM

the siRNA should target all sequences to which it has been targetted. In essence, it wouldn't differentiate between new wave of mRNA and the basal mRNA that is constantly being produced..so filtering between those two will be difficult, IMO.

#3 Sakumi

Sakumi

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
Neutral

Posted 23 June 2015 - 12:07 PM

Well, I understand that.

I am just wondering if it is doable to inject a modest amount of siRNA so that it can "clamp" mRNA levels, to prevent it from increasing.

#4 Jon Moulton

Jon Moulton

Veteran

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts
Neutral

Posted 24 June 2015 - 07:01 AM

I suppose you could knock down the endogenous expression while delivering an mRNA modified so it does not contain the knockdown target.  The trick would be to tune the amount of mRNA delivered so that it matches the unperturbed endogenous expression level.

Jon D. Moulton
Gene Tools, LLC
www.gene-tools.com

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.