• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

Using Gene Ontology

microarray

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 vanu

vanu

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41 posts
Neutral

Posted 16 June 2015 - 08:12 AM

Dear all,

I have recently received results from a microarray. All the analysis have been already conducted, and I have data on which genes are overexpressed, the molecular function/cellular component/biological processess these genes are involved in and so on.

However, now, I would like to look at specific biological processess (i.e. Regulation of response to stress, GO:0080134) that interests me and would like to see whether it is possible to look at all the genes that are implicated in this specific biological process.

My question is: Is it possible to look at all the genes that are implicated in a biological process using the GOID in Gene Ontology?

Sorry for the question, it might be seem a little bit stupid, but I am new in this field and I feel really lost, I have tried to look it but without success.

I would appreciate any kind of help,

Thank you very much in advance,

Vanu

#2 mdfenko

mdfenko

an elder

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,248 posts
Excellent

Posted 17 June 2015 - 04:25 AM

usually, after determining the genes to observe with microarrays, qpcr is used to follow the specific genes.

talent does what it can
genius does what it must
i do what i get paid to do

#3 gvbdxz

gvbdxz

Banana Split

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32 posts
Neutral

Posted 07 July 2015 - 04:34 AM

It is important to validate microarray data because it's not the most reliable technique to study expression changes in genes (people tend to prefer RnaSeq these days because of the higher reliability of results). So the first step after quick analysis of the microarray data is to pick specific genes which seem interesting to you and to check if their dysregulation is a real thing and not just an artefact. For this, you do a qPCR. 

What's the fun in answering a question when you cannot question its answer? 

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.