• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo

Making bacteria stock using glycerol

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Nebraskagirl

Nebraskagirl

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
Neutral

Posted 24 May 2015 - 02:25 PM

Okay I'm really new at this, I kind of inherited a lab with some issue.  My main problem right now is finding the freeze down protocol for bacteria.  From what I understand they are growing up the bacteria in about 8ml broth and adding 8 ml glycerol to this.  Mixing and putting into 1ml cryo tubes.  Somehow this doesn't seem right.  I used to freeze down virus in DMSO so maybe I'm wrong.  Could you some direction.

Thanks

#2 r.rosati

r.rosati

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
Neutral

Posted 24 May 2015 - 02:30 PM

You mean adding 8 ml of a 50% glycerol solution? Then it would be ok.

Would you like to check Addgene's protocol? It's really simple though. Bacteria are quite hardy (lyophilization is a valid preservation technique).

#3 Nebraskagirl

Nebraskagirl

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
Neutral

Posted 26 May 2015 - 11:32 AM

I wish, no it seems they are taking it straight from the bottle and adding it to the bacterial broth.

#4 pito

pito

Veteran

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,388 posts
Excellent

Posted 26 May 2015 - 11:44 PM

I wish, no it seems they are taking it straight from the bottle and adding it to the bacterial broth.

you mean they take the glycerol from a glass, commercial bottle?

Its not a good idea to just take stuff from a bottle (general solution), they should take aliquots or something.

In terms of concentration: if this is the right concentration.. then you can do it.

If you don't know it, then ask it! Better to ask and look foolish to some than not ask and stay stupid.

#5 Nebraskagirl

Nebraskagirl

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
Neutral

Posted 27 May 2015 - 01:05 PM

Yes, no its not the right concentration.  I contacted the main branch of the school for their protocol and let's just say that I have my work cut out for me this summer.

Thank you guys

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.