• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

Experimental design for RT-PCR

PCR gene expression molecular biology genomics

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 awan

awan

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
Neutral

Posted 23 May 2015 - 06:38 AM

Hi All

Good day

I am designing gene expression analysis of transgenic plants. I have 5 types of transgenic plants, with 2 types of control plants. I want to study the expression of 4 genes with two reference genes. I need your help to design the RT-PCR experiment. how to form the standard curve? do I need to run about 3000 samples, including serial dilution for every gene and for every plant, in triplicate?

#2 Mad Researcher

Mad Researcher

Newbie !!

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts
Good

Posted 23 May 2015 - 01:00 PM

What kind of quantification are you interested in? Absolute or relative?

Cheers,

Mad Researcher

#3 awan

awan

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
Neutral

Posted 23 May 2015 - 07:51 PM

Thanks dear Mad Researcher for the response.

Actually I want to compare the expression levels of 4 target genes from my transgenic plants with those in the control (wild type) plants. I shall be using SYBR fast kit and bio-rad IQ5 machine.

#4 Mad Researcher

Mad Researcher

Newbie !!

• Active Members
  • 141 posts
Good

Posted 24 May 2015 - 08:59 AM

Thanks dear Mad Researcher for the response.

Actually I want to compare the expression levels of 4 target genes from my transgenic plants with those in the control (wild type) plants. I shall be using SYBR fast kit and bio-rad IQ5 machine.

Ok. you are quantifying relatively. You should use a calibrator in each of your plate and for data analysis.

Cheers,

Mad Researcher

#5 awan

awan

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
Neutral

Posted 24 May 2015 - 07:59 PM

Ya, I have to quantify the increased or decreased expression.

Ok, does Calibrator mean a reference gene?

or

its the gene of interest from the control/ wild type sample?

Kindly guide. 

#6 Mad Researcher

Mad Researcher

Newbie !!

• Active Members
  • 141 posts
Good

Posted Yesterday, 07:58 AM

Ya, I have to quantify the increased or decreased expression.

Ok, does Calibrator mean a reference gene?

or

its the gene of interest from the control/ wild type sample?

Kindly guide. 

You can call a Calibrator as a reference gene but REMEMBER its different form Housekeeping genes.

Qiagen has defined Calibrator samples as: This is a reference sample used in relative quantification (e.g., RNA purified from a cell line or tissue) to which all other samples are compared to determine the relative expression level of a gene. The calibrator sample can be any sample, but is usually a control (e.g., an untreated sample or a sample from time zero of the experiment.

Basically, it can be a control from your experiment. When using the double delta Ct method for data analysis you need the calibration value for analysis. This would be an important control for measuring inter- assay variability that may occur when multiple samples are run on different plates.

Cheers,

Mad Researcher

#7 awan

awan

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
Neutral

Posted Yesterday, 08:40 PM

Dear Mad researcher

Its so nice of you, I got the point. 

One last thing to be asked;

When I run PCR for 1 gene, the plate has 7 cDNA samples (my Transgenics/ treatments/ control). should I prepare the serial dilution for every sample and control, and it should be in triplicate. Or I choose the best concentration from the calibrator/ control and run only that concentration in triplicate.

Thanks for the help.

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.