• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
- - - - -

trouble dissolving drugs cell medium

dissolving cells ethanol concentration dilution

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Ayatasia

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 02:57 AM

I'm having trouble dissolving my drugs in RPMI medium (turbidity or precipitation occurs). My drugs are dissolved in 100% ethanol (final concentration on cells should be below 0,5%). I tried to go from 0,1M drug in 100% ethanol to 0,01M in medium (which makes 10% ethanol in 1ml medium) to 100µM in 1mL medium (which gives me 0,1% ethanol). I did this one step in between so I could take 10µL from the 0,01M to the 100µM. But when I add that 100µL from the 0,1M solution to medium, in order to get 0,01M, the medium turns 'milky'. I guess this is totally not ok to use for further diluting...

Is this a correct way to deal with the problem:

I dissolve my compounds in 100% ethanol to a concentration of 0,1M. I will then directly add 1µL of this stock to 999µL medium (final volume of 1mL). By doing this the ethanol will be 0,1% in the final volume, which is save for the cells, and my final concentration will be 100µM. 

Is it ok to take only 1µL? And is it ok to assume that a 1/1000 dilution will make the drug dissolve (I tested this in eppendorf tubes and I couldn't see any turbidity or precipitation problems, but this was just by looking at it...)?

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.