• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
- - - - -

is -40 freezer enough for cell freezing?

cell freezing protocol

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 KKK

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 February 2015 - 11:28 PM

I have routinely used the standard IPA container in -80 overnight for cell freezing before transferring it into liquid nitrogen. But at the new place I have joined, we have only a -40 feeder and no -80 freezer. Can I replace -40 with -80 during freezing before liquid nitrogen step? How important it is to take cells to -80 before immersing in liquid nitrogen?

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 06:10 PM

Yes, you can transfer from -40 to LN2 without problem. I have done it several times with several cell lines, out of impatience, so I am sure it works.

However, don't do it with some sensitive or irreplaceable cell line without doing some trial runs. And if you do, don't sue me. What's with your Avatar name by the way?

So. Now that you have your first ever question on bioforum answered (or not), mail yourself your username and password so you don't forget them, and then come back soon to update us on how it all worked out. That's how you build Karma in science.

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.