• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
- - - - -

Diluting a stock - help please

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ElleEm613

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 07:52 AM

Hi all, I am having issue with a very basic math problem and not sure why. I have tried to get an answer two different ways and am getting two different answers so I am concerned. 

I have an antibody stock that is in concentration of 1.9ug/ul and only have about 700 ul of it. 

I need to inject about 40 mice with this antibody at a conc of 100ug for each and max of 50ul per mouse. 

How can I dilute the initial stock properly to have enough volume to inject all 40 mice with the conditions mentioned above? 

Thanks in advance. 

#2 hobglobin

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional...

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,588 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 08:13 AM

If you have 700 microlitre with a concentration of 1.9 ug/ul you have a total of 1330 ug.

If you need 100 ug for 40 mice, you'd need a total of 4000 ug. (if your statement is correct, since 100 ug is not a concentration, but an amount).

Anyway according to your informations it's not enough for the needed or wanted amount.

So with 1.9 ug/ul and 700 uL, you'd get 17.5 uL (with 33.25 ug total amount) per mouse

One must presume that long and short arguments contribute to the same end. - Epicurus
...except casandra's that belong to the funniest, most interesting and imaginative (or over-imaginative?) ones, I suppose.

#3 mdfenko

an elder

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,102 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 09:41 AM

are you sure you need 100ug, not 100ng?

talent does what it can
genius does what it must
i do what i get paid to do

#4 ElleEm613

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 12:30 PM

Yes it is 100ug per mouse, so you are correct it is an amount not a conc sorry about that. When I was calculating it I also got the result that I do not have enough for what is wanted, thank you for the confirmation. 

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.