• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!

Help ID fluoescently-labelled cells in the gut very much appreciated!

immunofluorescence gut

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 MC_london

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 04:18 AM

Hi all, 

I have just found this forum (after much searching!) and wonder if anyone can help me ID some cells that I am having trouble with. 

I'm new to immunofluorescence staining of the gut and am wondering what the best antibodies I can purchase to test next are!

I'll attach the pic with my cells of interest stained green.  There seem to be 2 types;

1- the larger cells found at the base of the villi : I think in the crypts of lieberkuhn/ intestinal glands - I guess they are most likely goblet cells or enteroendocrine cells - but my concern with this is that they seem to be inside the gland rather than part of the epithelial layer and also they seem too spherical to me- what do you think? I think they aren't Paneth cells as these are located at the base of the crypts s far as I can see!

2- the smaller cells in the lamina propria: these seem to me to be contained within a linear structure -possibly the lymph vessel? The staining is not comparable to say CD45 staining so I don't think they are immune cells.  thy have a nucleus so I also don't think autofluorescing rbcs - though I may be wrong? 

If you've got this far and have any ideas at all thank you very much, any advice appreciated :)

8 x10 v2.jpg

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 06:13 AM

Histology has never been a strong suit for me. I am sure someone will answer your questions here, but if you work in/near a research hospital, a quick visit to the pathology department or vet path may give your very authentic answers.

Would appreciate your feedback, though!

So. Now that you have your first ever question on bioforum answered (or not), mail yourself your username and password so you don't forget them, and then come back soon to update us on how it all worked out. That's how you build Karma in science.

#3 MC_london

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 03:59 AM

Thanks for your reply! 

I did get in touch with our path lab, they requested a bright field stain which I am getting on with at the moment. 

Sure, I'll report back if I'm successful!

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.