• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

concentrate DNA

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 molbio1234

molbio1234

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 59 posts
Neutral

Posted 31 December 2014 - 08:37 AM

I have used DNeasy to extract DNA. I eluted in 200uL volume. The extracted DNA concentration is 25ng/ul in Buffer AE. I need the concentration higher than this and want to reconcentrate the DNA. I don't have a speedvac. The DNA is already purified. I just want to reelute the DNA in a smaller buffer volume (100uL or 75uL). What is a good column-based DNA concentration kit to use to do this? I looked at the Zymo DNA Clean and Concentrator -25. But can that be used for reconcentration of already purified DNA?

#2 phage434

phage434

Veteran

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,672 posts
Excellent

Posted 31 December 2014 - 09:13 AM

Old school, but still effective: Add a layer of 2-butanol above your DNA. Water will dilute the butanol, leaving the DNA concentrated in a smaller volume of water. See a detailed protocol here:

http://www.google.co....82001339,d.eXY

#3 merlav

merlav

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 67 posts
Neutral

Posted 31 December 2014 - 10:43 AM

Also you can use an Amicon centrifugal filter.  You place the sample, centrifuge, discard elute, add the volume of buffer or water that you want place the filter upside down, centrifuge and you will have your DNA concentrated and with a minimal of loss.  If you use a clean kit you will loose materials.  If you don't have those ask to other people usually somebody have.  And buy some, always a good idea to have on hand.  

Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind.
Albert Einstein

I am among those who think that science has great beauty. A scientist in his laboratory is not only a technician: he is also a child placed before natural phenomena which impress him like a fairy tale.
Marie Curie

#4 molbio1234

molbio1234

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 59 posts
Neutral

Posted 31 December 2014 - 11:30 AM

Thanks. The amicon filters should work.

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.