• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo

Cryogenic label.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Wek

Wek

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50 posts
Neutral

Posted 29 December 2014 - 06:59 PM

I have always hand written my vials but this time we need labels that will be able to stick to vials that are very cold (-80 to -196C) without warming the surface. Every label we have tried falls off after a few days in the -80 freezer. Any recommendation will be appreciated.

#2 phage434

phage434

Veteran

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,553 posts
Excellent

Posted 30 December 2014 - 08:39 AM

The Brother printable labels can be autoclaved and work well at -80. I have no experience with the -196 storage. We use the TZe241 labels (18 mm) but they come in many widths and colors. They make extra strength labels, but we never used those, just the normal ones. The computer driven printers are compatible with both Windows and Macs, and will print a variety of bar codes. One very convenient feature we use a lot is the automatic dating of labels. Each person has a "stationary" which has initials and a date box. So, every label identifies who made it and when. Together with a lab notebook, this is often enough to tell you about the sample.

We used these for many years until we switched entirely to Thermo Matrix 2D barcoded tubes and a LIMS system (homegrown).

#3 CPRES

CPRES

Cellcounter

• Active Members
  • 140 posts
Good

Posted 14 January 2015 - 11:15 AM

We use Sigma Cryo-babies. They are just fine, although I have never tried autoclaving. Hmm. A lot of cryolabel supplies here.

So. Now that you have your first ever question on bioforum answered (or not), mail yourself your username and password so you don't forget them, and then come back soon to update us on how it all worked out. That's how you build Karma in science.

#4 Trof

Trof

Brain on a stick

• Global Moderators
  • 1,268 posts
Excellent

Posted 17 January 2015 - 01:14 PM

Is a cryolabel really able to stick and hold on already deep frozen (i.e. wet..) surface? I always though it withstands cryotemperatures and so on, but only AFTER sticking to a vial in RT.

Our country has a serious deficiency in lighthouses. I assume the main reason is that we have no sea.

I never trust anything that can't be doubted.

'Normal' is a dryer setting. - Elizabeth Moon

#5 CPRES

CPRES

Cellcounter

• Active Members
  • 140 posts
Good

Posted 20 January 2015 - 01:22 PM

I don't know of any cryo label that would stick to frozen surface.

So. Now that you have your first ever question on bioforum answered (or not), mail yourself your username and password so you don't forget them, and then come back soon to update us on how it all worked out. That's how you build Karma in science.

#6 phage434

phage434

Veteran

• Global Moderators
  • 2,553 posts
Excellent

Posted 20 January 2015 - 05:17 PM

I agree. Putting labels on already frozen tubes is essentially impossible. You might be able to laser inscribe them.

#7 CPRES

CPRES

Cellcounter

• Active Members
  • 140 posts
Good

Posted 20 January 2015 - 07:26 PM

That would be this- Engraving tool. cool.png

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.