• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo

Start fermentation

Fermentation Yeast Ecoli Lactobacillus

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Adriana Reis

Adriana Reis

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
Neutral

Posted 22 October 2014 - 02:40 AM

Hello Everyone

I am again asking for a word of advice.

I am supposed to be doing fermentations soon. My problem is I never really had much experiences with these.

I need to run an easy fermentation like this.

Yeast DSM 1333

Yeast + Gram positive contaminant (Lactobacillus fermentum)

Yeast + Gram negative contaminant (E.coli)

I decided to use these conditions for 3 fermentations

Broth= Water 1L, yeast extract 10g/L, glucose 20g/L, peptone 20g/L

pH = 6

temperature 30C

suddenly my starter culture didnt even grow. Im using aeration now to see how it goes.

My doubt resides here I want to end with contaminants of 1.0x10^5 ufc/ml at least and final yeast of 1.0x10^8ufc/mL. how do I achieve that?

I know I have to use an hemacytometer to determine the amount of yeast initialy but what volume should i pour to start the fermentation?

and same thing for my bacteria... I have OD600=2 for both bacteria. what math do I do to know the volume I need to pour initialy as well and start fermentations?

Lets say I counted my yeast 1.2x10^5 ufc/mL. And if I start fermentation at 10^5 ufc/ml what volume should I pour? Is it by following the formula 

initial concentration x volume = final concentration (start fermentation) x volume of fermentation (250mL) would this be right?

but what is the formula to find out this wanted volume for the bacteria in OD=2 (can I use the hemacytometer to count bacteria? isnt that going to be really hard to do?)

Thank you for your time

Adriana

#2 Adriana Reis

Adriana Reis

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
Neutral

Posted 04 November 2014 - 01:45 AM

anyone has any experience in fermentations?

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.