• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo

How to test antimicrobial activity of Streptomyces griseus

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 tretol

tretol

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32 posts
Neutral

Posted 19 October 2014 - 02:51 AM

Hello,

I am preparing for a microbiology practical course where we would like to test the antimicrobial activity of S. griseus. I did perpendicular streak method with E. coli which worked well and microdilutions which did not work.

For microdilution I inoculated MHB broth with S. griseus and incubated for 4-5 days at 28 °C. The broth I used in microdilution (incubation at 37°C for 20 h against E.coli, and MRSA) to test its antibiotic properties. There was no inhibition of the tested strains.

Afterwards, I did this experiment again, freeze dried the S. griseus suspension after incubation and dissolved in a small amount of water. Again, there was no activity in microdilution.

I also tried the experiment with longer incubation (around 10 days) but the resuts were the same.

From your experience, do have an idea where the mistake is? Maybe the incubation time is too long and the streptomycin degrades?!

Thanks a lot!

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.