Jump to content

  • Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

cloning problem


  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 AncaR

AncaR

    member

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
0
Neutral

Posted 08 September 2014 - 08:24 AM

Hello everyone,

 

I am trying to replace a 40 bp insert of a 6,4 kbp vector, with another 40 bp sequence. This is flanked by restriction sites for NheI and HindIII, and we designed primers with hanging ends which after annealing would generate our insert. After digestion, I cut the backbone from the agarose gel and ligated with the annealed primers and after transformation I had some bacteria colonies. However, after isolating the plasmid DNA and running it on a 0,8% agarose gel I noticed that the plasmid runs at around 3 kbp. Do you have any idea what could have happened? I have more colonies to test, but I'm not sure if I will get different results.

 

Thanks a lot.

Anca



#2 bob1

bob1

    Thelymitra pulchella

  • Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,831 posts
415
Excellent

Posted 08 September 2014 - 12:40 PM

Check that the backbone doesn't have more than one cut site.



#3 phage434

phage434

    Veteran

  • Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,507 posts
253
Excellent

Posted 08 September 2014 - 02:27 PM

You might also want to check that you have either PNK treated your oligos or ordered them with 5' phosphates. (probably not the problem you are having, but perhaps an additional one).






Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.