• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

Digest two sites located next to each other

XbaI salI digest neighbouring sit digest with no gap

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 rathnasingh

rathnasingh

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Neutral

Posted 05 August 2014 - 01:01 AM

I have this sequence in a vector (tctagagtcgac). It contains XbaI (tctaga) and SalI (gtcgac) restriction sites located together without any gap. I would like to clone a DNA fragment between these two sites, XbaI and SalI. Is it possible to digest the vector DNA without any problem?

Thanks

#2 Trof

Trof

Brain on a stick

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,205 posts
Excellent

Posted 05 August 2014 - 02:24 AM

Enzymes usualy need few bases on each side to cut. If one of the enzymes cuts its sequence, the other has no double strand overhang.

My best guess is, if you do a single digest the other enzyme will cut only at a very low frequency and if you do a double digest, the site would be randomly cut only by one or the other.

Our country has a serious deficiency in lighthouses. I assume the main reason is that we have no sea.

I never trust anything that can't be doubted.

'Normal' is a dryer setting. - Elizabeth Moon

#3 phage434

phage434

Veteran

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,504 posts
Excellent

Posted 05 August 2014 - 05:35 AM

I agree. If you do want to try, digest with SalI first. It's a lot fussier than XbaI. Better would be to PCR the vector with the cut sites you'd like (not SalI) and sufficient overhang.

#4 rathnasingh

rathnasingh

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Neutral

Posted 05 August 2014 - 05:13 PM

I agree. If you do want to try, digest with SalI first. It's a lot fussier than XbaI. Better would be to PCR the vector with the cut sites you'd like (not SalI) and sufficient overhang.

Thanks. Let me try this cloning with SalI and followed by XbaI. According to NEB, both the enzymes could cut one or two bp overhang to certain percentage. Looks encouraging. 

#5 Rajpoot

Rajpoot

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
Neutral

Posted 05 August 2014 - 06:45 PM

You can proceed with your cloning and hopefully there will be sufficient number of clones. Last week I did cloning into a vector bearing Nhe1  (GCTAGC)  and EcoR1 (GAATTC); sites  located very close  to each other. I did double digest overnight and faced no problem at all.

sequence on vector: ......GCTAGCGAATTC.....

Good luck!

#6 Rajpoot

Rajpoot

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
Neutral

Posted 05 August 2014 - 06:51 PM

You can proceed with your cloning and hopefully there will be sufficient number of clones. Last week I did cloning into a vector bearing Nhe1  (GCTAGC)  and EcoR1 (GAATTC); sites  located very close  to each other. I did double digest overnight and faced no problem at all.

sequence on vector: ......GCTAGCGAATTC.....

Good luck!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: XbaI, salI, digest neighbouring sit, digest with no gap

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.