• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

Alkylation vastly changes the western blot signal of my protein

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 litrallis

litrallis

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Neutral

Posted 30 June 2014 - 09:56 AM

Hey guys.

I have this protein called STIM1, an ER calcium sensor. I am trying to run an oxidation assay on it, but I am only just beginning to tweak the protocol. This protein comes with 5-6 sulfur containing amino acid residues, and 600-700 total amino acids.

The sulfur residues exist at various states of oxidation, and so by using various alkylation-labeling and biotin methods, I aim to be able to measure oxidation of this protein under different conditions.

I am doing the following:

1a. Lysing Jurkat cells in the presence of iodoacetamide.

1b. Lysing another set of Jurkat cells in the absence of iodoacetamide.

The problem: Even when referenced to actin, there is a HUGE difference in antibody detection between these two lysis conditions.

I have tried three different polyclonal antibodies to 3 different epitopes (c-terminus, a residue near the middle, and the n-terminus) and each gives identical results.

Any ideas why?

(Rest of the protocol:)

2. Sonicating, spinning down to transfer the supernatant, then running 20ug of lysate mixed with Laemmlis buffer on a 10% SDS-PAGE gel, followed by wet transfer, and room transfer blocking, and incubating the primary overnight. I then do 3x TBST washes, do secondary in blocking buffer for 1 hour at room temperature, then do 2x TBST washes, and 1x TBS wash.

I'm imaging with a Licor Odyssey system, and my blocking buffer is a proprietary Licor buffer. It works for everything else.

My lysis buffer contains NP-40, glycerol, Tris, as well as aprotinin, leupeptin, pepstatin, and microcystin added immediately prior to lysis.

Edited by litrallis, 30 June 2014 - 09:59 AM.

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.