• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo

Progression from finishing a PhD to a Post-doc career

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 science noob

science noob

Veteran

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts
Excellent

Posted 17 June 2014 - 04:48 AM

How long did it take you to get a job after having your PhD thesis accepted? 

What are the tips you can provide for a finishing PhD? Keep checking job sites? Hope that your PhD advisor has funding to employ you? There just seems to be a transitional joblessness void. 

Edited by science noob, 17 June 2014 - 04:49 AM.

#2 Micro

Micro

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61 posts
Neutral

Posted 17 June 2014 - 02:17 PM

I was working full-time as a lab manager whilst I completed my PhD, so I was a little slow to get started in the job hunting process. From the time I graduated to the time I received a job offer as a researcher was about 4 months (7 months after submission of my theisis). Realistically, I should be looking from about  6-12 months prior to graduation not after submitting my thesis. 

My biggest tip for getting a job is network, network, network.... it is not what you know it is who you know. Sad but true. Where I come from (Australia) any university or government job over 12 months in duration has to be advertised regardless of whether there is a candidate already identified for the position. So applying through job ads can sometimes be a pointless process. You are better off approaching researcher leaders (during your last year of your PhD if possible) and talking to them about job opportunites directly. Even if there isn't one available at the time you are more likely to be remembered when positions do become available.

Mirco smile.png

#3 Phil Geis

Phil Geis

Veteran

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 217 posts
Good

Posted 06 July 2014 - 05:31 AM

Agree with networking.  Please be aware there re so many opportunities in various industries.   Beware your post doc career doesn't become become career posdoc. 

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.