• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

Temperature sensitivity of Plasmids

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Raygoza

Raygoza

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Neutral

Posted 15 June 2014 - 07:28 PM

Hi, i'm working concurrently in  two projects involving plasmids that are temperature sensitive, one of them is said to replicate at 28ºC and the other at 30º C , However, we have only two incubators at the lab and i couldn't take both of them and is making things difficult for me. Could I grow the bacteria of one plasmid in the other's temperature? is 2º a catastrophic difference for the plasmids? thanks a lot it will save me a lot of time or at least will help me explain other people why i would be using the two incubators.

#2 pito

pito

Veteran

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts
Excellent

Posted 16 June 2014 - 01:38 AM

Hi, i'm working concurrently in  two projects involving plasmids that are temperature sensitive, one of them is said to replicate at 28ºC and the other at 30º C , However, we have only two incubators at the lab and i couldn't take both of them and is making things difficult for me. Could I grow the bacteria of one plasmid in the other's temperature? is 2º a catastrophic difference for the plasmids? thanks a lot it will save me a lot of time or at least will help me explain other people why i would be using the two incubators.

To be honest: I wonder how you are going to checkt that 2°C difference!

Many incubators shift between (lets say) 35 and 38°C when they are set at 37°C...

And thats not even talking about people opening them to take stuff out and so on...

28 or 30°C will be fine for both plasmids...

(I am guessing the plasmid has a heat sensitive origin of replication? In most cases: this is more something that has a certain boundary, like for example: "will not replicate anymore abote 40°C" or something like that, but being sensitive to a specific certain temperature for replication itself is a bit weird.. it seems to be more an ideal temperature that you mean) 

You are sure its the plasmid and not the bacterium that is heat sensitive?

If you don't know it, then ask it! Better to ask and look foolish to some then not ask and stay stupid.

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.