• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo

Do you recommend Fermentas restriction enzymes?

Restriction Enzyme Fermentas

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 hercolanium

hercolanium

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
Neutral

Posted 28 May 2014 - 09:10 AM

Hi, I want to know if anyone has experience with Fermentas company's restriction enzymes since they are the fastest option I have at the moment, are they good enough or do I have to wait the whole 40 days until New England Bio Labs ship the enzyme for me?

#2 hobglobin

hobglobin

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional...

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,519 posts
Excellent

Posted 28 May 2014 - 09:37 AM

Generally spoken Fermentas are similar good IMO (and if not the company might have already problems to survive).

Anyway differences you find in the details, so there are enzymes with the same recognition site of both companies, and the enzymes of one company works much better (e.g. complete and fast digestion vs almost no digestion9 than from the other. I once had this problem and a more experienced worker told me to avoid that one from company x. Anyway I guess from both companies such enzymes exist.

One must presume that long and short arguments contribute to the same end. - Epicurus
...except casandra's that belong to the funniest, most interesting and imaginative (or over-imaginative?) ones, I suppose.

#3 hercolanium

hercolanium

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
Neutral

Posted 29 May 2014 - 02:15 AM

Generally spoken Fermentas are similar good IMO (and if not the company might have already problems to survive).

Anyway differences you find in the details, so there are enzymes with the same recognition site of both companies, and the enzymes of one company works much better (e.g. complete and fast digestion vs almost no digestion9 than from the other. I once had this problem and a more experienced worker told me to avoid that one from company x. Anyway I guess from both companies such enzymes exist.

Thank you for answering, but do you recommend me to use Fermentas enzymes? I have used enzymes from company X (Not Fermentas) and they turned out to be DNase contaminated which resulted in three lost months beside the other materials (PCR, electrophoresis, etc...) and samples.

#4 hobglobin

hobglobin

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional...

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,519 posts
Excellent

Posted 29 May 2014 - 02:47 AM

So far I had no problems both with NEB and Fermentas...it's some time ago I used them, but Fermentas (or now Thermo-Scientific) is a large and well-known company and not a "little rat-shop". And contaminated products (or any other faults) you can have with every company and product, which are hopefully exceptions.

If you want to be sure, you can try out the enzymes on surplus samples or other DNA you don't need, before you use them on valuable samples.

One must presume that long and short arguments contribute to the same end. - Epicurus
...except casandra's that belong to the funniest, most interesting and imaginative (or over-imaginative?) ones, I suppose.

#5 blaszcz

blaszcz

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
Neutral

Posted 25 June 2014 - 12:33 PM

I have been using Fermentas restriction endonucleases since my PhD and never had problems.

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.