• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo

Glutaraldehyde solution - ok to freeze thaw or should aliquot?

Glutaraldehyde Fixation Staining Tissue Storage

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Epigeneticist

Epigeneticist

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 94 posts
Neutral

Posted 24 May 2014 - 06:16 AM

Hi,

I recently bought 50% Glutaraldehyde Solution from Sigma to use as a tissue fixative. The reagent should be stored at -20C. The bottle is 10ml so will last quite a while for my purposes. Is this solution ok to freeze thaw many times or should I aliquot it - say 500ul, 1ml etc? Sigma does not specify, only that it should be stored at -20c and nothing about freeze thawing. I do not know that stability of the chemical that well. Just wondering what other people do with such a solution. 

Thanks!

#2 hobglobin

hobglobin

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional...

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,522 posts
Excellent

Posted 25 May 2014 - 03:22 AM

When nobody else replies, actually I've no experience with this chemical, but I guess because of the relatively low molecular mass and low complexity, you can freeze-thaw it many times without problems.

One must presume that long and short arguments contribute to the same end. - Epicurus
...except casandra's that belong to the funniest, most interesting and imaginative (or over-imaginative?) ones, I suppose.

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.