• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo

Freezing yeast cells

yeast freezing dmso glycerol

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 microbiologiste24

microbiologiste24

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Neutral

Posted 20 May 2014 - 10:46 PM

Good morning everyone,

I´m actually using Saccharomyces cerevisiae yeast cells (AH109), and to store them at - 80ºC, I usually use 12% of DMSO (like I do for bacteria: E. coli and Caulobacter crescentus), but few weeks ago some peoples told me that it is better to store yeast cells with glycerol and not DMSO, is it true ? If yes, which concentration of glycerol should I use ? I also want to say that when I thaw the yeast cells (after a freezing with DMSO), the cells have a lot of difficulties to grow (approximately 48h to reach an OD of 1 in rich medium sad.png ), do you think that it is due to the freezing with DMSO ?

Thank you smile.png  

#2 pito

pito

Veteran

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,337 posts
Excellent

Posted 21 May 2014 - 01:47 AM

Good morning everyone,

I´m actually using Saccharomyces cerevisiae yeast cells (AH109), and to store them at - 80ºC, I usually use 12% of DMSO (like I do for bacteria: E. coli and Caulobacter crescentus), but few weeks ago some peoples told me that it is better to store yeast cells with glycerol and not DMSO, is it true ? If yes, which concentration of glycerol should I use ? I also want to say that when I thaw the yeast cells (after a freezing with DMSO), the cells have a lot of difficulties to grow (approximately 48h to reach an OD of 1 in rich medium sad.png ), do you think that it is due to the freezing with DMSO ?

Thank you smile.png  

I can't say what the difference is to be honest: I never used DMSO for yeast cells, but I use whats called stock medium.

Its 2 grams of bactopeptone, 1 gram of yeast extract and 30 ml of 87% glycerol. This is in an end volume of 100ml.

I use this to store yeast cells.

Its also normal that they grow a bit slower after being frozen, but 48 hours seems a pretty long time to reach an OD of 1. (Altough, no idea how much you add of the cells to how much volume...)

If you don't know it, then ask it! Better to ask and look foolish to some than not ask and stay stupid.

#3 microbiologiste24

microbiologiste24

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Neutral

Posted 21 May 2014 - 05:45 AM

Thank you for your reply Pito smile.png

#4 Alfahelix

Alfahelix

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Neutral

Posted 07 July 2014 - 03:38 AM

Hey,

I have always used glycerol. Currenctly I am using this procedure http://openwetware.o..._stocks_(yeast)

Best of luck!

#5 Adriana Reis

Adriana Reis

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
Neutral

Posted 01 August 2014 - 03:21 AM

Yeah I do use glycerol .

it preserves the structure of the cell better. I believe I use a 30% of glycerol. Pour 1mL of it and 1mL of the yeast broth so the final concentration would be 15%.

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.