• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

Troubles with PCR (Rosa26 locus in mouse line) VERY CONFUSING!

Best Answer Ahrenhase, 15 May 2014 - 01:21 PM

I solved the issue by using 15% DMSO and annealing time of 5 seconds.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Ahrenhase

Ahrenhase

Veteran

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts
Good

Posted 10 May 2014 - 01:37 PM

So I'm trying to PCR homologous arms for CRISPR/Cas9-mediated knock-in.  I'm usinga  guide RNA that has been previously validated in the Bl/6 background.  Unfortunately, they didn't do knock ins, just gene dispruption, so there was no PCRing of homologous arms in the earlier paper. 

Here's my dilemma. Using sequence data from the black 6 genome from ENSEMBL, I was easily able to PCR the 3' arm of rosa 26 (~1kb) - line 1.  I also wanted to confirm that the guide RNA site was in the genome of the mouse line I'm working with since it's not Bl/6.  The primer set for this was a forward primer ~150bp upstream of the putative guide RNA site (line 2).  This worked 100% and the sequence was 100% identical to the black 6 genome.  Now I just need to PCR the 5' arm.  I've tried at least 10 different forward primers to make a 1kb arm (line 3), a 750 bp arm (line 5) and most recently a 500bp arm (line 7).  The variations I tried are shown in the attached image; green indicating successful PCRs and red are unsuccessful.  I am running out of options and I don't want to make my arm too short (not really sure how short I can go).  I tried using Phusion polymerase (GC and regular buffer, with and without DMSO) and Invitrogen's high fidelity polymerase.  I generally just get multiple bands but those that are in the predicted length I tried sequencing and nothing is correct.  Any suggestions?

Attached Thumbnails

• PCR.jpg

Edited by Ahrenhase, 10 May 2014 - 01:39 PM.

#2 Ahrenhase

Ahrenhase

Veteran

• Active Members
  • 160 posts
Good

Posted 15 May 2014 - 01:21 PM   Best Answer

I solved the issue by using 15% DMSO and annealing time of 5 seconds.

#3 bob1

bob1

Thelymitra pulchella

• Global Moderators
  • 5,513 posts
Excellent

Posted 15 May 2014 - 01:36 PM

So it must have some pretty strong secondary structure in there then?

#4 Ahrenhase

Ahrenhase

Veteran

• Active Members
  • 160 posts
Good

Posted 16 May 2014 - 01:44 PM

So it must have some pretty strong secondary structure in there then?

At first I thought it was nonspecific binding to other regions of genomic DNA but then I fortuitously found a vector containing Rosa26 regions and my amplicon of interest.  Again, I got multiple bands.  So then I just set up at least 10 different reaction conditions until I found a formula that worked. 

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.