• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

Reference gene(s) selection and validaton for qPCR

housekeeping normalization reference

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Trof

Trof

Brain on a stick

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts
Excellent

Posted 22 April 2014 - 05:01 AM

Selecting a proper reference gene(s) for RT-qPCR is an ongoing struggle.

It's easy to "do it", but it's significantly more difficult to do it right.

I will dedicate this topic to general discussion about selecting reference (sometimes called housekeeping) genes, software/application used and so on.

A web page first.

Massively resourced but rather ugly pages concerning normalization and reference genes selection on Gene-Quantification.info site.

http://normalisation...ification.info/

(often contains fulltexts of papers)

Some papers.

The need for transparency and good practices in the qPCR literature - Nature Methods 2013

Evidence Based Selection of Housekeeping Genes - PloS ONE 2007

and of course

MIQE Guidelines

Today I came accross a free web tool to select reference genes using algorithms from four currently used applications geNorm, Normfinder, BestKeeper, and the comparative ddCt method.

Since I have used only one of them and this requires to only copy Ct directly from the Excel table (!!) it's like a huge help to refgene selection (I used GeNorm for some time, I wouldn't really call it user friendly..)

RefFinder

But since I can't compare with the others I don't have any comments on this would be appreciated.

(I may add later some sites/papers/... I found highly relevant, post any sources regarding the topic, if you want, too)

Our country has a serious deficiency in lighthouses. I assume the main reason is that we have no sea.

I never trust anything that can't be doubted.

'Normal' is a dryer setting. - Elizabeth Moon

#2 Inbox

Inbox

Veteran

• Active Members
  • 327 posts
Excellent

Posted 18 July 2014 - 07:39 AM

Hey Trof, 

Thanks for quiet useful information. Could you please add material you mentioned in last post?

Edited by Inbox, 18 July 2014 - 07:39 AM.

#3 Trof

Trof

Brain on a stick

• Global Moderators
  • 1,198 posts
Excellent

Posted 26 July 2014 - 01:57 AM

I hope I will, but currently I don't have time cause I'm focused on different topic.

But if you go through the Gene-Quantification.info site, it contains many many many publications, and was that my starting point too.

Our country has a serious deficiency in lighthouses. I assume the main reason is that we have no sea.

I never trust anything that can't be doubted.

'Normal' is a dryer setting. - Elizabeth Moon

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.