• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo

The trouble with Res*****gate

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Tabaluga

Tabaluga

Making glass out of shards

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 403 posts
Excellent

Posted 13 April 2014 - 09:42 AM

Hi everyone,

I noted that posting links to RG is restricted by BF.

I understand that RG is a competitor to BF and I also recall that there was trouble with spammers advertising for RG after the great crash. However I also think that BF and RG target slightly different audiences as BF allows anonymity which in turn allows both venting and a discussion which is more at ease. Personally, I prefer BF very much - I wouldn't want your boss to be able to look up every single thing you ever asked or said, especially when you are a relative beginner.

Sometimes I try to link to a helpfull comment on RG, in which case I can't unless I deliberately write it wrong, which creates confusion as obviously link only work when written correct. As the main purpose of BF is surely providing a platform for helpful discussions and there are also many beginners out here, I'd find it more purposeful to lift the restriction (at least for links, it wouldn't hurt to leave it restricted in plain text). I can't imagine it would have a significant disadvantage for BF, as this is nonethless a very different place, like I said above.

Il dort. Quoique le sort fût pour lui bien étrange,
Il vivait. Il mourut quand il n'eut plus son ange;
La chose simplement d'elle-même arriva,
Comme la nuit se fait lorsque le jour s'en va.

#2 hobglobin

hobglobin

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional...

• Global Moderators
  • 5,546 posts
Excellent

Posted 14 April 2014 - 11:12 AM

Tabs, read this:

http://www.protocol-...ship-necessary/

One must presume that long and short arguments contribute to the same end. - Epicurus
...except casandra's that belong to the funniest, most interesting and imaginative (or over-imaginative?) ones, I suppose.

That is....if she posts at all.

#3 hobglobin

hobglobin

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional...

• Global Moderators
  • 5,546 posts
Excellent

Posted 15 April 2014 - 08:00 AM

and to add a solution, you might use one of these url-services that redirect and shorten an url such as Tinyurl or goo.gl ReGate should then be hidden within this short url and you can add this as link:

Try out

One must presume that long and short arguments contribute to the same end. - Epicurus
...except casandra's that belong to the funniest, most interesting and imaginative (or over-imaginative?) ones, I suppose.

That is....if she posts at all.

#4 Tabaluga

Tabaluga

Making glass out of shards

• Active Members
  • 403 posts
Excellent

Posted 15 April 2014 - 10:13 AM

Oh OK, and these spammers are still at large even now ? What an aggressive marketing strategy, it makes me like RG even less.
Thanks for the idea with the tiny links, hadn't thought of that !

Il dort. Quoique le sort fût pour lui bien étrange,
Il vivait. Il mourut quand il n'eut plus son ange;
La chose simplement d'elle-même arriva,
Comme la nuit se fait lorsque le jour s'en va.

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.