• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

DNA cleanup after linearization, before transformation?

Transformation Pichia pastoris DNA Linearization

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Proteins-R-Us

Proteins-R-Us

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Neutral

Posted 08 April 2014 - 05:48 PM

Hi all, 

I'm curious: most protocols I see on transforming Pichia pastoris (which integrates a linear vector), calls for cleanup after linearization. 

Basically, this is how the protocol goes: 

1. Linearize vector which contains gene of interest
  2. Cleanup linearization reaction, which apparently removes the salt and the restriction endonuclease used in the linearization process
  3. Combine the cleaned-up, linearized vector w/ electrocompetent yeast, and transform
  4. The linearized vector will be integrated into the genome, and this is how expression happens. 

My question is: can I eliminate step 2? i.e. will leaving the salt and the enzyme in the transformation reaction ruin the transformation? 

Thanks! 

--PRU

#2 Proteins-R-Us

Proteins-R-Us

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Neutral

Posted 08 April 2014 - 05:50 PM

Hi all, 

I'm curious: most protocols I see on transforming Pichia pastoris (which integrates a linear vector), calls for cleanup after linearization. 

Basically, this is how the protocol goes: 

1. Linearize vector which contains gene of interest
  2. Cleanup linearization reaction, which apparently removes the salt and the restriction endonuclease used in the linearization process
  3. Combine the cleaned-up, linearized vector w/ electrocompetent yeast, and transform
  4. The linearized vector will be integrated into the genome, and this is how expression happens. 

My question is: can I eliminate step 2? i.e. will leaving the salt and the enzyme in the transformation reaction ruin the transformation? 

Thanks! 

--PRU

No need to double post - bob.

#3 Binomial

Binomial

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Neutral

Posted 08 July 2014 - 02:29 AM

The clean-up is not really necessary, however sometimes a high salt concentration in the digestion mix ruins the posterior electroporation. In this case you can:

-perform the clean-up or

-carry out the electroporation with less volume of DNA mix 

#4 phage434

phage434

Veteran

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,385 posts
Excellent

Posted 08 July 2014 - 05:52 AM

It is also easy to do a drop dialysis of the digestion, which will remove the salt. Millipore VWSP 0025 membranes floated shiny side up on pure water in a petri dish. Pipet the diestion on top of the membrane, let it sit for 30 minutes, pipet it off.

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.