• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

Virus sample

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Inbox

Inbox

Veteran

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts
Excellent

Posted 23 March 2014 - 09:26 AM

Hi,

If I have to detect virus from sample. Which is most suitable sample so that I can detect as many mixed infections as possible? Is blood sample (Serum/plasma) is more representative or liver? Thanks.

Edited by Inbox, 23 March 2014 - 09:27 AM.

#2 bob1

bob1

Thelymitra pulchella

• Global Moderators
  • 5,828 posts
Excellent

Posted 23 March 2014 - 11:22 AM

Are you meaning mixed infection with two or more sorts of viruses or mixed viral and bacterial infection?

#3 Inbox

Inbox

Veteran

• Active Members
  • 331 posts
Excellent

Posted 24 March 2014 - 12:47 AM

Mixed viral infection. Actaully I want to know which sample is more reperesentative of any viral infection?

Can plasma or serum sample sotred at 4 oC for a week or two be used for virus isolation. Can Psot mortem tissue sample (week or so) be used for virus isolation?

Edited by Inbox, 24 March 2014 - 04:55 AM.

#4 bob1

bob1

Thelymitra pulchella

• Global Moderators
  • 5,828 posts
Excellent

Posted 24 March 2014 - 11:42 AM

Well, the answers to these depend on the virus and the detection methods - the most reliable method of detecting infections is to look at the antibodies raised by the host - so blood is the ideal answer here.  However if you want to detect the virus directly, the PCR or something similar is what you need to do, though I don't know of any system that will detect more than about 5-10 different viruses at once - you have the added problem that some viruses are RNA based and some DNA...

For direct detection storage is important, like it is for any experiment, so keeping the samples under ideal conditions is best.  However, the other key determinant is, once again, detection method, some are more robust than others.

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.