a couple of points:
1) I wish I could back home, but the country from wich I am originally has GDP per capita which is similar to Albania, El Salvador, Mongolia. There are no positions in academia, consulting etc. No international company wants to sell anything (except cell phones) to the country because there is no money in the country. There is no jobs, no prospectives, nothing. If I only could, I would rather go to India, Brazil or South Africa, because the life level is much higher there. Generally, the offered wages do not allow you to make ends meet. For instance, a single working individual cannot afford to rent a flat!
2) I receive 2 000 dollars after taxes per month in North America as a postdoc. I do not know if this is a decent payment accordingly to american standards. Please, take into account also the 60-70 hours working week. No wonder, we do not have any native citizen in our group. I would go immidiately in any other place on this planet , if I was offered better conditions or at least 40-hours working week.
3) This part was removed.
I am not glorifying nazism. I equally disguised by any kind of anti-human ideology. But it is terrible that having 10 years of education in biology, I got trapped in the same conditions as prisoner in gulag or labor camp without any hope for better future.
Actually, academia destroyed my life. I engaged in something that doesn't make any sence. While I was doing research, the situation in my country of origin became much-much worth. Those who have already jobs struggle to maintain those despite wages cut. it is nearly impossible to get a job for fresh graduates.
4) I do not know how to stay positive if it took me several months to find even this slave job !
5) I engaged in one of these "3 years" PhD in Europe. I believe that it is impossible to publish anything if you start project from absolute scratch, do not have support or mentoring from supervisor etc etc. I see growing number of such offers (3 year funded PhD position somewhere in Europe). Stay away from these! They are generally rubbish !
6) I do not understand why in industry they do not want accept people with PhD because they are overqualified even if I ready to work for whatever money. On the other hand, in academia now they require phd degree for even technician job! It does not make any sence to me.
Edited by hobglobin, 31 March 2014 - 12:12 PM.
See post #15 for details.