• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo

grant - why should we give you this money? expain in 1000 words

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 vetticus3

vetticus3

Princess

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 144 posts
Neutral

Posted 04 March 2014 - 07:24 AM

Hi,

Help me please!!

I'm applying for a little grant, and they ask the usual questions (explain in 200 words to a layman your project, expain in 1000 words your project etc)... but they also ask for 1000 words why their grant is going to help me.

Because money is nice, and i can buy things with it.  989 words to go.

In all honesty, 1000 words seems a bit much to kiss up to them for a few thousand pounds.

What do they want to hear?

They have another section where I have to break down the costs of the things I'm going to buy... do i just reitterate that the money is going to help support my essential equipment and servies, and possibly be used in a conference... and that they are just so wonderful and lovely etc.

help?

V

#2 hobglobin

hobglobin

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional...

• Global Moderators
  • 5,538 posts
Excellent

Posted 04 March 2014 - 10:07 AM

Isn't there a possibility to ask them directly what they expect?

and what is their exact question, your title or the "why their grant is going to help me"? I'd interpret and answer it differently.

I.e. the title I'd understand as question about your ideas, aims and intentions, the 2nd more like you understood it and difficult to reply to.

One must presume that long and short arguments contribute to the same end. - Epicurus
...except casandra's that belong to the funniest, most interesting and imaginative (or over-imaginative?) ones, I suppose.

That is....if she posts at all.

#3 bob1

bob1

Thelymitra pulchella

• Global Moderators
  • 5,784 posts
Excellent

Posted 04 March 2014 - 06:16 PM

To my mind, there's only one possible answer:

"Because I'm awesome." 

Think of all the typing you will save, and you can then bask in the certainty that you will receive said funding ;)

or... hobgoblin's answer, which-ever.

#4 Tabaluga

Tabaluga

Making glass out of shards

• Active Members
  • 398 posts
Excellent

Posted 04 March 2014 - 06:37 PM

Hi vetticus,

if they mean why you want t h e i r funding, isn't there something that sets their organization or whatever they are apart from others ? Something unique to them ? A feature, a network, their history, whatever... ? And then write about why this unique feature etc. means so much to you and that it will give you opportunities bla bla bla...

Il dort. Quoique le sort fût pour lui bien étrange,
Il vivait. Il mourut quand il n'eut plus son ange;
La chose simplement d'elle-même arriva,
Comme la nuit se fait lorsque le jour s'en va.

#5 vetticus3

vetticus3

Princess

• Active Members
  • 144 posts
Neutral

Posted 05 March 2014 - 05:09 AM

The exact question is:

Upload a statement (1000 words max) explaining precisely how the Fellowship will enable you to undertake your research and contribute to your career and why the Fellowship is important to the funding of your research.

it's money from l'oreal, so i could say: because I'm worth it  cool.png

it's not enough cash for a salary... it's enought for a dozen antibodies.  alright, so i have to go on a bit of a spiel about women in science etc.

thanks people smile.png

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.