• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

Nanodrop vs Picogreen to quantify post-PCR product

pcr purification product real-time pcr nanodrop picogreen

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 detriar

detriar

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35 posts
Neutral

Posted 03 March 2014 - 07:29 PM

Dear all,

I wonder if it is the right subforum to ask, but since it has something to do with PCR product, I'm gonna ask here.

I purified my PCR product (excised the single band, and using column from roche kit to purify it) and I want to use this product as standard for the absolute quantification real-time PCR project. Thing is, I have to know the exact concentration of this purified PCR product, so that I can convert the concentration (ng/ul) to copy molecules/ul using Avogadro equation. From the journal, the researchers use picogreen to quantify that purified PCR product, but since I don't have such the equipment nor the reagen, I wonder if it is okay to quantify the purification product's concentration with Nanodrop?

I really hope you guys can help me with my question.

Thank you.

Cheers,

Dee

#2 phage434

phage434

Veteran

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,420 posts
Excellent

Posted 03 March 2014 - 07:52 PM

It's probably ok to use the Nanodrop after purification. Picogreen is good because it is less sensitive to ssDNA or nucleotides.  But you have eliminated most of those with gel purification.

#3 hobglobin

hobglobin

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional...

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,523 posts
Excellent

Posted 04 March 2014 - 08:27 AM

You have to consider that you also lose DNA during the purification.

One must presume that long and short arguments contribute to the same end. - Epicurus
...except casandra's that belong to the funniest, most interesting and imaginative (or over-imaginative?) ones, I suppose.

#4 detriar

detriar

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35 posts
Neutral

Posted 23 April 2014 - 02:10 AM

Thank you :)

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.