• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

Help with Presentation

amplification gene amino acid phylogeny

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 max_trop

max_trop

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Neutral

Posted 13 February 2014 - 02:37 AM

Hi guys,

I will be presenting a group project tomorrow to our TI about amplification of a lipase gene that we did for the past month. We stopped after amino acid deduction, sequence alignment, and construction of the phylogenetic tree.

I accept that one weakness is that we have no proof whatsoever that what we had in the tube is indeed the gene we're looking for. I know we could give all sorts of reason but from the scientific standpoint, is there anything I can say to defend our lack of further studies with regards to its expression in a host?

Is it always possible to express any gene (known / unknown / suspect)? Must it be done all the time?

Also, how much can one trust the sequence deposited on the public domain to identify anything via the various tools (BLAST etc)?

We're new to this but everything about molecular biology is fun and this semester's been great! I hope I get some feedback and guidance soon.

Thanks! smile.png

Edited by max_trop, 13 February 2014 - 02:39 AM.

#2 bob1

bob1

Thelymitra pulchella

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,628 posts
Excellent

Posted 13 February 2014 - 11:35 AM

For these sorts of things it is always good to be able to give a "future directions" or "further work" part of your presentation - this is where you outline possible experiments that you could carry out to further characterize your gene.

From a science standpoint - how would you try to express the gene -plasmid, integrated, repressor?  What type of cells would you express in (yeast, bacteria, mammalian, insect)?  What are the limitations of each?

#3 max_trop

max_trop

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Neutral

Posted 13 February 2014 - 06:41 PM

Thank you bob1!

What about the sequence alignment? Is it a good support to our lack of additional bench work?

#4 bob1

bob1

Thelymitra pulchella

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,628 posts
Excellent

Posted 14 February 2014 - 11:31 PM

Maybe - it's good stuff to have, but actual physical data (e.g. actual sequence read) is hard to beat.

#5 max_trop

max_trop

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Neutral

Posted 16 February 2014 - 06:33 AM

I see. Thanks! :)

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.