• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

Do You know insect that eats prey with no leftovers?

insectsfeeding

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Allies2000

Allies2000

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Neutral

Posted 17 January 2014 - 05:34 AM

Hi All,

for my recent project I need to find a kind of insect that feed rather quick (few minutes from start to the end), and consumes prey with no leftovers (like snake). Do any of You know such insect? Any suggestiions are welcome.

All Best,

Allies 

#2 pito

pito

Veteran

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,328 posts
Excellent

Posted 17 January 2014 - 07:51 AM

lady beetles ...

Weird question.

If you don't know it, then ask it! Better to ask and look foolish to some than not ask and stay stupid.

#3 hobglobin

hobglobin

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional...

• Global Moderators
  • 5,525 posts
Excellent

Posted 17 January 2014 - 12:16 PM

It depends largely on the prey type..insect predators that feed on soft prey such as ladybeetles eat them up completely (though the feeding habits are as in all other insects not really good and often often parts and leftovers fall down wink.png )

But all more sturdy and hard food is rarely consumed completely independent from predator or prey species....such prey is often prepared by biting off wings and legs, sometimes even the head.

Anyway some ground beetles, praying mantis I guess also eat up their prey often more or less completely, with the above limitations.

One must presume that long and short arguments contribute to the same end. - Epicurus
...except casandra's that belong to the funniest, most interesting and imaginative (or over-imaginative?) ones, I suppose.

#4 Allies2000

Allies2000

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Neutral

Posted 18 January 2014 - 02:46 AM

ok thank You for the lady beetles. The idea of question is that in my group we work on ektotherms. We try to measure metabolism after food consumption. The problem we face is when the animal eat and how much does it consumed. We tried autumn beetles (many species) and all of them don't want to eat (some of them can be alive and vital for 4 weeks and more) or eat very messy. The same problem is with praing mantis.  We cannot measure precise enough how much did it eat.

Thank You very much. We will try lady beetles as You suggest.   

All Best

Allies

#5 pito

pito

Veteran

• Global Moderators
  • 1,328 posts
Excellent

Posted 18 January 2014 - 02:51 AM

It will not be easy to do.

If possible: it would be even better to work with the larva of the lady beetle. They are even more vicious than the lady beetle itself.... they will even try to bite your fingers .... they will pretty much eat everything.

If you don't know it, then ask it! Better to ask and look foolish to some than not ask and stay stupid.

#6 Allies2000

Allies2000

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Neutral

Posted 18 January 2014 - 10:56 AM

wow thanks pito. We will explore lady beetle behaviour.

All Best

Allies

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.