• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

High Ct/Cq values in my NO-RT and NTC samples

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Jonas Michalko Hamann

Jonas Michalko Hamann

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Neutral

Posted 16 January 2014 - 07:23 AM

Hi Bioforum.

I'm currently trying to compare the expression level of two different genes from fermentation samples, however I have had a lot of trouble in getting clean samples for the qPCR.

I use NO-RT and just Supermix, water, primer as controls.

In my most recent try my NO-RT and NTC samples showed Ct values at 37-52 (Im currently running around 60 cycles, not sure if thats to many (additional question?)). Can i neglect these values since they are fairly high? My samples are around 16-21 Ct. Or how would I check if these values have an impact on my samples? Do I need a positive control sinec I just want to measure the ratio between the two genes?

Best regards

Jonas

#2 bob1

bob1

Thelymitra pulchella

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,666 posts
Excellent

Posted 16 January 2014 - 06:37 PM

Most people would consider 40-45 cycles adequate.  If you consider how PCR works to amplify a target, assuming 100% efficiency, every 10 cycles a single copy will be amplified about 1000 times (2n where n= number of cycles).

Reactions that are appearing over about 35 are probably suspect and could easily be random non-specific amplification.  Certainly anything beyond 40 cycles could be ignored.

#3 Kongen

Kongen

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
Neutral

Posted 17 January 2014 - 06:08 AM

Okay, thanks. Lets say all my samples provide a Ct of 35 can you then conclude that you didnt have any success in isolation RNA in the first place or would you have to check with a positive control?

#4 bob1

bob1

Thelymitra pulchella

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,666 posts
Excellent

Posted 18 January 2014 - 01:23 PM

Perhaps - you would need a positive control ( you could do a standard curve too) to test this.  Other problems could be inefficient reactions, inhibitors in the reaction, degraded RNA, reactions not prepared properly...

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.