• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

Protein concentration and extinction coefficient

Protein concentration Extinction coefficient

Best Answer mdfenko, 14 January 2014 - 04:57 AM

with lowry-type protein assays, you're reading a common colored reaction product, not the protein itself.

unless you empirically determine a different response of the reagent to your protein then using bsa is perfectly acceptible, with no correction factor for extinction coefficient necessary.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 nitrox

nitrox

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Neutral

Posted 13 January 2014 - 05:40 PM

Hi all,

I have a question regarding estimation of protein concentration for a recombinant protein. I am using Bio-Rad DC reagent, which measures absorbance at 595 nm. To obtain protein concentration, I use a standard curve generated using BSA protein standard. Typically, I dilute my protein 2000 fold to obtain the concentration within the range. Here's my question:

If my protein's extinction coefficient is 22000 and for the estimation of its concentration, I have used BSA as a standard (extinction coefficient = 44000), should I double the value obtained for concentration in mg /ml, for accurate estimation? 

Thanks in advance! 

#2 mdfenko

mdfenko

an elder

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,616 posts
Excellent

Posted 14 January 2014 - 04:57 AM   Best Answer

with lowry-type protein assays, you're reading a common colored reaction product, not the protein itself.

unless you empirically determine a different response of the reagent to your protein then using bsa is perfectly acceptible, with no correction factor for extinction coefficient necessary.

talent does what it can
genius does what it must
i do what i get paid to do

#3 nitrox

nitrox

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Neutral

Posted 16 January 2014 - 07:18 AM

That makes sense. Thanks mdfenko! 

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.