• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

designing primers( selecting target sequence/amplicon design)

qPCR DNA PRIMERS

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ntsalihah

ntsalihah

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Neutral

Posted 06 January 2014 - 04:00 AM

Hi everyone,

Okay this sounds a bit dumb but all these are new to me, so please help in anyway you can.

I'm trying to design a new primers (let's say for a bacteria). I know for amplicons you're suppose to select 75-100bp, avoid secondary structures etc...

but how do you go about selecting the target sequence? Is there some kind of database where you can see the dna sequence of a bacteria and can select a target sequence/amplicons on that? and thus the primers.

I'm sorry if I'm not being clear...please any help would be much appreciated.

Edited by ntsalihah, 06 January 2014 - 04:02 AM.

#2 bob1

bob1

Thelymitra pulchella

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,507 posts
Excellent

Posted 06 January 2014 - 12:19 PM

This sounds like homework to me.......  so my answer won't be complete, but should be enough to get you started.

Have a look for genbank.

What type of PCR are you doing (for what purpose)?  qPCR (real time) or standard?

#3 ntsalihah

ntsalihah

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Neutral

Posted 07 January 2014 - 02:14 AM

It's not homework I assure you. I just never design primers before and only study in a classroom (and they only tell you how to design primers , not exactly how to do it in real life ) instead of practical experience. and practical experience with PCR only and with already prepared primers.

And It's for qPCR.

thnak you

#4 bob1

bob1

Thelymitra pulchella

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,507 posts
Excellent

Posted 07 January 2014 - 12:07 PM

There are databases of validated (published) qPCR primers out there, but I don't know the websites off hand.  Have a look at the Nucleic Acids Research database issue.

Check out PrimerBlast on the NCBI website.

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.