• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo

Can someone identify this bacteria for me? (Pictures)

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Drweakguy

Drweakguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Neutral

Posted 17 December 2013 - 04:48 PM

Contimated sample

Pure sample

I think they're E.coli but im not sure. I gram stained them both and they're both gram-negative (i think). The first one was from a source with a bunch of contimates. The sceond sample was from one of the individual cultures from the original contiminated sample. I assumed the first sample had E.Coli, but from the second sample it doesn't look entirely like the first. Could it be because i inoculated the wrong colony or because i only let the second sample grow for a day? I'm really new to this so any information would be helpful, thank you!

#2 bob1

bob1

Thelymitra pulchella

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,800 posts
Excellent

Posted 18 December 2013 - 12:19 PM

You can't definitively identify bacteria just based on a Gram stain.  There are a range of tests that need to be performed to do this.  All you can say from the Gram stain is that the bacterium (assuming you are looking at the bacilli) is that they are bacilli.  Your Gram stain isn't ideal, if you think they are G- then they should be pink.  It is also possible to get G+  bacilli .  It is also helpful if you can describe where the contaminates came from and what is likely to be contaminating them, but it isn't absolutely essential.

I would say from the "pure culture" that you have picked the small g+ cocco-bacilli which are very visible in the background of your picture.

#3 Drweakguy

Drweakguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Neutral

Posted 18 December 2013 - 06:22 PM

You can't definitively identify bacteria just based on a Gram stain.  There are a range of tests that need to be performed to do this.  All you can say from the Gram stain is that the bacterium (assuming you are looking at the bacilli) is that they are bacilli.  Your Gram stain isn't ideal, if you think they are G- then they should be pink.  It is also possible to get G+  bacilli .  It is also helpful if you can describe where the contaminates came from and what is likely to be contaminating them, but it isn't absolutely essential.

I would say from the "pure culture" that you have picked the small g+ cocco-bacilli which are very visible in the background of your picture.

Thanks for the reply! I see that i've got mixed up on the gram staining colors. I'm assuming E.Coli can be ruled out now because it's not G-? Also, what tests are required for identifying bacteria? Thank you!

#4 memari

memari

Veteran

• Active Members
  • 148 posts
Good

Posted 19 December 2013 - 12:49 PM

Universal Bacterial Identification by PCR and DNA Sequencing of 16S rRNA Gene

http://link.springer...0-481-9039-3_28

http://download.spri...83c785&ext=.pdf

-----
Babak Memari

#5 Phil Geis

Phil Geis

Veteran

• Active Members
  • 218 posts
Good

Posted 20 December 2013 - 06:30 AM

Might help if you revealed the naturedentity of the contaminated material.

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.