• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

Sodium Acetate Buffer pH 5.2

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 KayleighEpps

KayleighEpps

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Neutral

Posted 17 December 2013 - 09:05 AM

Hi!

Does anybody have any specific protocol/recipe for a 3M Sodium Acetate buffer at pH 5.2? I normally dissolve anhydrous sodium-acetate in 150mL of distilled water, adjust the pH with glacial acetic acid (17.416M) and then make it up to 250mL using water but I was wondering if there's a specific way to do it based on pH/pKa calculations rather than having to titrate the acetate in and monitor it via a pH meter. 

Thanks!

- Kayleigh

#2 hobglobin

hobglobin

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional...

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,531 posts
Excellent

Posted 17 December 2013 - 11:59 AM

I've a recipe of 10.5 mL 0.2 M acetic acid solution, 39.5 mL sodium acetate solution and 50 mL water which gives a buffer with pH 5.2. Anyway it's always strongly recommended to check the pH finally and adjust if something is wrong (solutions may be wrongly made, volume errors etc) ...

One must presume that long and short arguments contribute to the same end. - Epicurus
...except casandra's that belong to the funniest, most interesting and imaginative (or over-imaginative?) ones, I suppose.

That is....if she posts at all.

#3 labtastic

labtastic

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts
Neutral

Posted 10 January 2014 - 06:33 AM

Don't make it so complicated. Trying to avoid using a pH meter just makes your life more difficult.

1. Make a 3 M sodium acetate solution.

2. Make a 3 M acetic acid solution.

3. Add acetic acid solution to sodium acetate solution (while stirring) until pH is 5.2.  

Edited by labtastic, 10 January 2014 - 06:35 AM.

#4 Borek

Borek

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
Neutral

Posted 31 January 2014 - 02:21 PM

3M solution is way too concentrated for easy calculations (ionic strength starts to play an important role). You can try to calculate buffer composition using thermodynamically corrected pKa value for IS=3 (which is listed as 5.015 in Kotrly and Sucha book). At least it could mean much shorter titration.

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.