• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

Holliday Model of Homologous Recombination VIDEO MISTAKE?

Best Answer pito, 02 December 2013 - 07:00 AM

I am not sure this might be the mistake, but it seems that when they draw the chromosomes

at 1.29 and at 1.49 (and I am talking about the "large chromosomes" on top, not the in detail view) that there is something wrong with the colors.

I mean these ones:

arm_chromosome.jpg

Look at how they look: they look both the same at 1.29 and 1.49, both with a blue end at the bottom one and a purple end at the top one ..

You see?

I think this is not right, because in the first type of junction/splitting (1.29) you should have a same color "end" , because the exchanged DNA is in the middle , not at the end..

Not sure this is the mistake your teacher is looking for!

ANyway: let us know what the mistake is , because I would like to know because I can not figure it out (besides what I explained here)!

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Rok

Rok

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Neutral

Posted 02 December 2013 - 06:04 AM

Hello, 

In class today the teacher said there is something wrong with the following animation of the "Holliday Model of Homologous Recombination": 

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=bkoJOZCoOOg

She didn't say what it is but I will have to know this on the test very accurately and the video is very helpful, if it wouldn't be for this small mistake, for which I don't know where it is. 
My question is, where in the video is this mistake. It would be much appreciated if someone who knows this subject could take a look at the whole video and point out the mistake. 

Thank you, 

Rok

#2 pito

pito

Veteran

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,491 posts
Excellent

Posted 02 December 2013 - 07:00 AM   Best Answer

I am not sure this might be the mistake, but it seems that when they draw the chromosomes

at 1.29 and at 1.49 (and I am talking about the "large chromosomes" on top, not the in detail view) that there is something wrong with the colors.

I mean these ones:

arm_chromosome.jpg

Look at how they look: they look both the same at 1.29 and 1.49, both with a blue end at the bottom one and a purple end at the top one ..

You see?

I think this is not right, because in the first type of junction/splitting (1.29) you should have a same color "end" , because the exchanged DNA is in the middle , not at the end..

Not sure this is the mistake your teacher is looking for!

ANyway: let us know what the mistake is , because I would like to know because I can not figure it out (besides what I explained here)!

• Rok likes this

If you don't know it, then ask it! Better to ask and look foolish to some than not ask and stay stupid.

#3 hobglobin

hobglobin

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional...

• Global Moderators
  • 5,617 posts
Excellent

Posted 02 December 2013 - 07:50 AM

or the double centromeres in the film? not sure how they are seen or drawn today but I learnt that there's only one per chromosome as in the image above..

A single lie is reproachable; a million lies is a statistic.
D. J. T.

#4 Rok

Rok

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Neutral

Posted 02 December 2013 - 08:18 AM

I think you might be right, pito, thanks. I'm awaiting my teacher's feedback, will post when I get it.

Edited by Rok, 02 December 2013 - 08:19 AM.

#5 Rok

Rok

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Neutral

Posted 02 December 2013 - 08:22 AM

hobgoblin, it could be that as well, but I think she meant something wrong that relates more to the process of recombination, after all, that's why she showed us the video.

#6 pito

pito

Veteran

• Global Moderators
  • 1,491 posts
Excellent

Posted 02 December 2013 - 08:39 AM

double centromeres? Nha, I think its just 1 centrome, but drawn a bit strange.

or the double centromeres in the film? not sure how they are seen or drawn today but I learnt that there's only one per chromosome as in the image above..

If you don't know it, then ask it! Better to ask and look foolish to some than not ask and stay stupid.

#7 Rok

Rok

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Neutral

Posted 03 December 2013 - 08:12 AM

So this is the answer: the ends of the chromatids after the first recombination should not be coloured differently (purple on blue chromosome, blue on purple chromosome), rather, only a short region should be coloured differently. It is called "gene conversion" and does not include "crossing-over", which doesn't happen until later in the video.

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.