• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

PCR product sequencing

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 yyc

yyc

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Neutral

Posted 23 November 2013 - 01:14 PM

Hi,

I would like to know if it is possible to sequence direclty a PCR product without first cloning the fragment.

Thank you.

#2 hobglobin

hobglobin

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional...

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,604 posts
Excellent

Posted 23 November 2013 - 01:24 PM

yes it's possible, but you have to be aware of some topics such as that is has to be really only one product (and not a mix of two or more similar long fragments, therefore checking it on a gel is recommended, or even cutting out from gel to have them separated), cleaning up the product is essentially too, to get rid of nucleotides and other unwanted stuff.

Search for this topic here, there are several threads with useful hints.

A single lie is reproachable; a million lies is a statistic.
D. J. T.

#3 pcrman

pcrman

Epigenetist

• Global Moderators
  • 1,165 posts
Excellent

Posted 23 November 2013 - 02:14 PM

Sequencing PCR products without cloning is a common practice. If your product is a single band (by running a small aliquot), you can sequence it after purification without gel separation, otherwise, you have to gel separate it, cut out the band of interest, and recover the DNA from the gel slices. 

#4 El Crazy Xabi

El Crazy Xabi

Veteran

• Active Members
  • 245 posts
Excellent

Posted 05 December 2013 - 10:11 PM

If you amplify a single copy-gene (or multi-copy, conserved in sequence) comming from pure culture or individual is more than common. I'd say is the normal procedure for example for sequencing ribosomal SSU, ITS or LSU. I do it for identification of isolates and I never did any cloning nor gel geparation, just DNA cleanup (that's a must). Depend on what do you want it for.

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.