• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

sample sonication before loading

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 biochemscientist

biochemscientist

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
Neutral

Posted 20 November 2013 - 08:47 AM

Hey friends!

Some of my fellows sonicate and centrifuge their extracted samples before loading into PAGE wells. I have read many papers but ddnt find any strong reason for doing this. 

I am doing native PAGE what do you think very mild sonication can do with my samples if i do this before loading.

Regards!

#2 mdfenko

mdfenko

an elder

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,785 posts
Excellent

Posted 20 November 2013 - 04:12 PM

the reason for doing it with sds is to ensure that there are no particulates loaded onto the gel (sonication should disperse some and centrifugation should remove any insoluble material).

the danger of sonication is that you may denature the protein (mild may be okay). centrifugation should clear the sample of insoluble, denatured protein(s).

talent does what it can
genius does what it must
i do what i get paid to do

#3 macrox

macrox

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Neutral

Posted 20 November 2013 - 10:35 PM

Also, sonication shears the DNA in the sample (lysed cells). If you don't remove it either by physical methods (passing the sample though a thin needle, sonication, ...) or enzymatic methods (DNAse) the sample can be too viscous --> trouble with pipetting and loading into SDS-PAGE wells plus bad separation during electrophoresis.

#4 doxorubicin

doxorubicin

Veteran

• Moderators
  • 192 posts
Good

Posted 21 November 2013 - 01:48 AM

I've always sonicated, even "excessively", with no problems. If you don't sonicate you will sometimes have very "goopy" DNA that makes loading difficult and imprecise and the DNA will negatively affect your results. You can make a cell extract where you spin down and discard the DNA, but you should be aware that you are discarding some proteins (e.g. Histones) as well.

#5 biochemscientist

biochemscientist

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
Neutral

Posted 26 November 2013 - 08:16 PM

yes i do sonicate in SDSPAGE but what about the native PAGE? where we are separating only complexes

#6 mdfenko

mdfenko

an elder

• Active Members
  • 2,785 posts
Excellent

Posted 27 November 2013 - 05:51 AM

again, gentle sonication may not affect your protein of interest. make sure you clarify before loading.

talent does what it can
genius does what it must
i do what i get paid to do

#7 biochemscientist

biochemscientist

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
Neutral

Posted 27 November 2013 - 07:21 PM

ok Thanks!

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.