• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

Dried blood spots internal standard marker protein

dried blood spot protein internal standard

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 biochem06

biochem06

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Neutral

Posted 30 October 2013 - 06:04 AM

Hi,

I'm using dried blood spots (whole blood, not separated) to measure some markers of inflammation eg CRP. I want to compare the results from the dried blood spots to frozen plasma.

The problem is this: I add 10ul of blood to filter paper and let it dry etc. Then puch out a 3mm circle of the dried blood for analysis. This 3mm circle is extracted in 50ul of extraction buffer and then assayed. However, I don't know how much blood I have actually extracted from the dried blood spot and it has also been diluted in extraction buffer.

I want to compare the results to a known volume of frozen plasma. So how do I do this?

I was thinking of adding an internal standard to the sample before adding the blood to filter paper, that way I will know how much I have extracted as I can measure the amount of internal standard.

What could I use for the internal standard? It must be cheap, stable at room temperature and easy/cheap to measure. It must also not react with the blood.

I was thinking maybe a protein from another species e.g. horse myoblobin (could measure by ELISA although this is expensive) or a stable dye that can be measured using a spectrophotometer (we don't have access to mass spec).

any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.