• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

Alternative start codon in plasmid

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 tapi

tapi

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
Neutral

Posted 28 October 2013 - 07:24 AM

Hi all,

just a question of concept:

We made a mistake in the designing of a construct but we realized once the experiment was finished.

We wanted to overexpress a gene. We cloned the desired gene substituting a LacZ gene but we accidentally left a start codon (with kozak sequence) upstream of the ATG of our gene (which also have its own Kozac sequence). The ATG left by mistake was from a hp68/70 promoter-LacZgene

This not desired ATG codon was in frame with the other and there was a stop codon between both of them.

Surprisingly everything worked perfectly and the protein seems to give the effect desired.

I was wondering what has happened here. Possible explanations could be:

1- Translation started in alternative ATG and ended and later started again with the correct ATG?: I though that the mRNA deattach from ribosome after stop sequence is found

2- Translation stated in the alternative ATG but continued because the stop codon was not enough to stop translation, resulting in a protein with some more aminoacids at the beginning but perfectly functional?: Maybe there is any other more sequence required to stop translation apart from the stop codon?

I am extremely puzzled by this and I would really appreciate some comments

Many thanks!!!

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.