• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

Destroyed my pH probe

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 FreddieP

FreddieP

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
Neutral

Posted 27 October 2013 - 08:45 AM

Well, I left my pH probe in distilled water over the weekend and now it doesn't work anymore. The pH is registering at between 2 and 3 whatever standard is measured, ie 4,7,10.  I put the probe in saturated KCl overnight but very little improvement. Have I destroyed it or is there anyway I can get it back on track? Thanks for the help, FreddieP

#2 phage434

phage434

Veteran

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,509 posts
Excellent

Posted 27 October 2013 - 10:02 AM

Depending on the probe, there may be a way to refill the interior solution of the probe with saturated KCl, which would likely restore its function.

#3 El Crazy Xabi

El Crazy Xabi

Veteran

• Active Members
  • 199 posts
Excellent

Posted 27 October 2013 - 03:23 PM

Depends on  the probe as phage434 says. The probe I use in the lab has to be stored with a sponge wetted with MQ, never KCl... anyway, try to change the internal solution, rinse it with some electrode solution before start to testing. Calibrate as usual and test.

#4 FreddieP

FreddieP

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
Neutral

Posted 28 October 2013 - 11:37 AM

I put it in hot, not boiling, saturated KCl for about 1/2 hour and it fixed it. I can't fathom why that might be? Just soaking in KCl was useless.

#5 jerryshelly1

jerryshelly1

Veteran

• Global Moderators
  • 328 posts
Excellent

Posted 28 October 2013 - 03:32 PM

If your electrode dried out (solution precipitated), you would have an accumulation of salt on your electrode. The hot water increases the solubility of the salt, allowing for proper conduction between your pH bulb and solution.

#6 Borek

Borek

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
Neutral

Posted 29 October 2013 - 01:26 AM

For future reference: http://www.ph-meter....de-rejuvenating

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.